The Gallia County Board of Health is charged with the enforcement authority of Ohio Administrative Code, Section 3701-3-28 , Section 3701-3-29, and Section 3701-3-30. These sections cover the quarantine, vaccination and examination of animals involved in reported biting incidents.
- Investigation of all animal bites and exposures
- Conduct rabies vaccination clinics
- Quarantine enforcement
- Laboratory examination
What to do if a animal bites you?
- Immediately, wash the wound with lots of soap and water.
- Seek medical attention and follow their recommedations.
- If possible, detain or hold the animal, so it can be examined by the Health Department. If the animal is to be destroyed, do not damage the head.
- Report the bite to the Health Department as soon as possible. Be prepared to describe the animal or provide the name and address of the animal.
To report an animal bite: 740-441-2018 or fax 740-441-2963
For information on rabies: John McKean, RS, 740-441-2943 John.McKean@galliacohealth.org
Ryan McCarley, SIT, 740-441-2945 Ryan.McCarley@galliacohealth.org
Printable Report Forms (See Below)
Click here for the Ohio Department of Health Rabies Program
Click here for the latest information on rabies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Animal Bite Report Form
If time permits, fill out this form and take it with you to the doctor or hospital.
Rabies in Ohio Wildlife
ODNR Publication #136